Sunday, August 14

FIFA increases squad limit to 26 for World Cup

Agencies

Teams that have qualified for the upcoming football World Cup will be able to select up to 26 players for the mega event later this year after world football governing body FIFA increased the maximum squad  limit by three on Thursday.

FIFA said the change was due to the unusual timing of the tournament as well as the impact of COVID-19 on squads, Reuters reported. The showpiece event in Qatar will run from November 21 to December 18.

“The number of players to be included on the final list has been increased to at least 23 and a maximum of 26,” FIFA said in a statement.

“No more than 26 people (up to 15 substitutes and 11 team officials) will be allowed to sit on the team bench.”

According to the news agency, UEFA took a similar decision last year, allowing sides to pick three extra players for the European Championship due to the pandemic.

The International Football Association Board this month gave the green light to the use of five substitutions in matches, which was initially introduced as a tweak to the rules because of COVID-19.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

P